acpi needed to control fans on HP Proliant

akanwar at digitarchy.com akanwar at digitarchy.com
Wed Aug 20 16:22:47 PDT 2003

Hi all,

I run FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE on about 70 i386 boxes. Now we are evaluating a
HP Proliant DL360 G3 servers for BSD compatability.

All seems good except except the fact that the fans in the server run full
steam all the time (and they are LOUD). My HP rep tells me that if I
install Windows on this box, it will automatically control fan speed via
acpi.

How do I do the same in FreeBSD 4.8 ?

I do not see any "acpi0" messages in the dmesg.

Thanks for your time,

-ansh