how to MFC when the target moved?

Ian Lepore ian at freebsd.org
Fri Jun 3 09:01:43 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-06-01 at 15:12 -0700, Don Lewis wrote:
> On  1 Jun, Ngie Cooper wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Don Lewis <truckman at freebsd.org>
> > wrote:
> > > I'd like to MFC r300705, which updates
> > > usr.bin/fortune/unstr/unstr.c,
> > > but fortune moved from /usr/games to /usr/bin between FreeBSD 10
> > > and 11.
> > > What is the best way to proceed?  Manually apply the patch and
> > > direct
> > > commit?
> >
> > Something like this is what you want to do when recording the
> > merge..
> > Cheers!
>
> Hmn ... it wants to record merginfo into sys/gnu/dts when I do that
>
> mousie:src 382%svn merge -c 300705 --record-only '^/head/' .
> --- Recording mergeinfo for merge of r300705 into '.':
>  U   .
> --- Recording mergeinfo for merge of r300705 into 'sys/gnu/dts':
>  U   sys/gnu/dts
>

> It doesn't to that if I omit --record-only.

I ran into something similar last year; there's just something strange
about sys/gnu/dts (maybe related to its vendor-branch heritage
somehow).  I eventually worked around it by just doing what I needed to
do and then doing svn revert -R sys/gnu/dts, leaving only the mergeinfo
I actually wanted to commit.

-- Ian