How does /etc/security/audit_event work?

Mateusz Piotrowski 0mp at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 2 18:47:30 UTC 2016

Hi,

I participate in Google Summer of Code and I am working on a Non-BSM to BSM audit trails conversion (link below).

I’m feeling a little bit stuck.

From what I understand this file is generated by audit_kevents.h and audit_uevent.h from within contrib/openbsm (although I couldn’t find the audit_uevent.h anywhere except the directory with the FreeBSD source code; I read the source of audit_uevent.h and I could find any definitions with a comment “These definitions are for FreeBSD").

What strikes me is that the audit_event file on my working FreeBSD has some definitions for Darwin and Solaris and those definitions not always have a unique value of their eventnum (like the events with eventnum=6171).

My questions are:

1. How does /etc/security/audit_event work?
2. How does FreeBSD use this file and choose the right event type?
3. Which eventnums of the event types can I use on FreeBSD?

Cheers,

Mateusz Piotrowski

Project’s Wiki: https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2016/NonBSMtoBSMConversionTools <https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2016/NonBSMtoBSMConversionTools>

PS I misunderstood a lot of things here for sure - sorry about that. I’ll be grateful if you correct me.