Problem with timecounters and memory model

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Fri May 29 18:53:41 UTC 2015

----- Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at freebsd.org> schrieb:
> --------
> In message <55686D31.1060408 at embedded-brains.de>, Sebastian Huber writes:
>
> >> How often do you "wind" the timecounter ?
> >
> >More often than necessary. About 1000 times a second with only one=20
> >timehand (this is a hack to support legacy systems). The test case is:
>
> If you only have one timehand, I can't see how it can work without
> locks ?

In RTEMS we have two build time configurations: uni-processor and SMP.  In the uni-processor configuration we have only one timehand.  The windup function is called in interrupt context with interrupts disabled.  We have the one timehand limitation since not every supported hardware provides a free running counter.  In the SMP configuration we use the default 10 timehands.

--
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16
Fax     : +49 89 189 47 41-09