FreeBSD Boot Environments

Allan Jude allanjude at freebsd.org
Wed May 20 18:26:31 UTC 2015

On 2015-05-20 14:10, Slawa Olhovchenkov wrote:
> I am try to use Boot Environments and have some misundertanding.
> As I see beadm manage only zroot/ROOT. But base upgrade touch not only
> /{boot,etc,bin,lib,libexec,rescue,sbin} but also /usr and from time to
> time /var. And don't touch (at most) /root.
>
> What correct way to use Boot Environments?
> Rename zfs datasets as:
>
> From			To
> zroot/usr		zroot/ROOT/default/usr
> zroot/usr/home		zroot/home
>
> create
>
> zroot/root
>
> leave (rename after moving zroot/usr)
>
> zroot/usr/ports
> zroot/usr/src
> zroot/usr/local
>
> Or somehow else?
>
> How prepare upgrades for such install?
>
> Create model setup, witch similar enviroment
> zfs snap modelroot at N
> do install{world,kernel} DESTDIR=/modelroot
> do mergemaster -I -U -D /modelroot
> zfs send -i N-1 modelroot at N | ssh host zfs recv zroot/ROOT/new
>
> Or somehow else?

The typical way (done by bsdinstall) is that your zroot/usr dataset, is
set 'canmount=off', and only exists for you to create child datasets.

Any files written to /usr/bin etc, actually end up going to the
ROOT/default dataset

you can tell by looking at 'zfs list' and your zroot/usr is only like
200kb, instead of 100s of megabytes. It also won't be listed in the
output of 'mount'.

--
Allan Jude