nosh version 1.14

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups at NTLWorld.com
Sat May 9 19:25:12 UTC 2015

nosh is now up to version 1.14

* http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/Softwares/nosh.html

That was the source package changelog.  Now the discussion.

I've been running FreeBSD 10 as an entirely nosh-managed system for
quite a while, now.  But I still had some ad hoc mechanisms for starting
the user-space virtual terminals by logging in on a kernel virtual
terminal and running some scripts.  I'm now running user-space virtual
terminals as proper services, under the service manager, so they come up
at bootstrap unattended.  As you can see from the changelog, I've fixed
a font bug in the terminal emulator and eliminated some of the very few
remaining to-do items for it.

Input-activated log services, as started by svscan (a.k.a.
service-dt-scanner), are now gone.  There's a minor story behind this.
Monitoring real systems with nagios militated against it. The nagios
check would report many of the log services as down, because of course
the logged services hadn't done anything worth logging and hadn't
activated the loggers.  For my use, good nagios checks were more
important than the input activation, which was only ever an experiment
in any case.  So now svscan no longer uses it. On that score, there is
also a small improvement in the nagios checking tool, which allows one
to specify the minimum time that a service has to be in the running
state before it will be considered OK, nagios-wise.

Similarly, there's now a command to tell service-manager to unload a
service when it next enters the stopped state.  The service manager will
disconnect itself from the control FIFOs and the supervise/ directory,
and forget all about the service.  This allows a service bundle to be
cleanly removed from the system in its entirety.

I've added a command to convert /etc/fstab into mount and fsck
services.  More is planned here, including integration with the rc.conf
and ttys conversion utilities under an umbrella of some sort, details
yet to be decided.

The packaging changes are a big deal in the Linux world, but they aren't
really relevant in the BSD world.  This just leaves a whole load of new
service bundles, which are a message all to themselves.