GSoC 2015: Memory compression

刘智猷 liuzhiyou.cs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 09:17:48 UTC 2015

Hi hackers,

I am a CS master student from Peking University and interesting in
FreeBSD's GSoC, especially the memory compression idea.

I had some experience of kernel development and debugging from my previous
RedHat kernel QA internship and MIT 6.828 course project JOS which requires
to implement a unix-like single processor OS. Though I don't have much
experience of FreeBSD but I have the intention and the passion to improve
my knowledge during this project.

Here is a few things I want to ask,

1. Is this project still available/incomplete?
I ask this because I noticed some ideas listed in the summer of code ideas
page have been finished in previous GSoC.

2. I think the first step of this project could be reserving some memory
space as in-memory swap and we 'swap' the less used page to it. Is that
sounds like a plan to you? If so, I would make a prototype of it in FreeBSD
in the next few days to get my hand dirty.

P.S. I had sent an identical email to theraven@, just forwarding it here.
It would be great if I could get your helps and advises.

Sincerely,
Zhiyou