GBDE not protecting the user

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at michaelwlucas.com
Mon Jan 26 19:37:01 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 10:26:43AM -0800, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> Michael W. Lucas wrote this message on Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 03:44 -0400:
> > I'd really like to include GBDE in my FreeBSD storage book, but it
> > seems that it doesn't actually work.
>
> You should include that gbde does not use any AES-NI acceleration, so
> if you need performance and you have crypto acceleration in your machine,
> then the only option in geli...

Every time I publish a book, an interesting fact comes up right after
the book is out in the world. An interesting fact that would have been
perfect for the book, were it not for the book being published and out.

And FM:SE's winner is... JMG!

Seriously, the material on GBDE is all about protecting the user, and
mostly smaller partitions. Nothing in there about FDE, high
performance, or anything like that. GBDE is a really cool tool for a
really unpleasant use case that nobody else covers so well.

But now I'm wondering if you can hide GBDE partitions inside GELI
providers. Hmmm...

==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas  -  mwlucas at michaelwlucas.com, Twitter @mwlauthor