Connection

John-Mark Gurney jmg at funkthat.com
Sat Feb 28 04:24:08 UTC 2015

R0B_ROD wrote this message on Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 21:59 -0500:
> Hello,
> The optimization level -O3
> in "CFLAGS and COPTFLAGS -O3 -pipe -funroll-loops"
> options in /etc/make.conf, have any relation to the
> CPU having SSE3 and SSE4A features??

Not really.. the kernel doesn't allow the use of the fpu, unless you
use interface provided in fpu_kern(9)...

Also, the amd64 ABI doesn't mandate the presence of SSSE3 or SSE4A,
so unless you do special work (which I plan on doing), even userland
can't make use of them unless specially instructed (or you build your
own binaries and don't mind them not always working on other computers)..

> I have built over a dozen kernels for my laptop
> with 10.1-STABLE. My last one was the smallest
> and it was an accident, I just kept messing around.
> The machine is truly responsive. Also adjusted ZFS
> and other sysctl tunables. I am very happy with BSD.
> I came from Linux with no real UNIX knowledge.
> Hoping I can learn asm/C. Thanks for the time.

Glad you are enjoying it...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579