Changing the MTU on a lagg device

Pokala, Ravi rpokala at panasas.com
Mon Feb 9 18:33:22 UTC 2015

-----Original Message-----
From: John-Mark Gurney <jmg at funkthat.com>
Date: 2015-02-09, Monday at 10:19
To: Ravi Pokala <rpokala at panasas.com>
Cc: Navdeep Parhar <np at FreeBSD.org>, "freebsd-hackers at freebsd.org"
<freebsd-hackers at FreeBSD.org>
Subject: Re: Changing the MTU on a lagg device

>Hate to suggest making this more complicated, but we should leave lagg in
>as consistent state as possible... Which IMO, though very surprising, is
>kicking out the failed component...  Leaving a mixed MTU which could drop
>packets, but somewhat work seems worse...

I considered as well, but I figured dropping to the lowest MTU that worked
for all the components would be less disruptive than moving to the higher
MTU and kicking out the failed components. I'm flexible on this; it seems
to be a fairly rare corner-case, in which all options suck, so I'm happy
to defer to others as to which option sucks least. :-)

-Ravi