Coding Structure and Documentation

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Sun Feb 8 02:52:57 UTC 2015

On 8/02/2015 4:36 AM, Benjamin Adams wrote:
> I'm going to be starting a new coding project that will be built on
> FreeBSD.  Before starting, I would like to review any coding
> documentation on structure and layout of comments, spacing vs tabs,
> etc. Or just go by the structure set by the language.
> (http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/)
>
> Language I will be coding in is Python.  I will be building the
> project on FreeBSD 11 with the idea of releasing it shortly after
> FreeBSD 11 is moved to STABLE.

As a Python user, I would advise sticking closely to PEP 8.

> Lastly what version of Python will be the primary version on 11?

Unless you need to rely on a Python package still only supported on
Python 2, I would suggest that you use Python 3.  The default version of
Python for the Python 3 meta-port looks like it was recently changed to
v3.4 which would be a good choice - even if v3.5 is released and adopted
as the default for the Python 3 meta-port by the time FreeBSD 11 is
released, forward compatibility from 3.4 to 3.5 should be very good.
Python 3.4 is already in wide use and therefore could be expected to be
supported by the Python developers for some time after 3.5's release.

You may find https://wiki.python.org/moin/Python2orPython3 helpful on
the Python 2 vs Python 3 issue.

Regards,
Andrew.