libminipkg in base?

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Sun Oct 26 20:48:08 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I have been hacking on snmp_hostres.c to provide the list of packages again.

Because pkg is not in base and will never be I have been directly calling pkg
to gather the list it works pretty well:
https://people.freebsd.org/~bapt/bsnmp-pkg.diff

after thinking again about it (and discussing with zi@) about it. I start
thinking that a stable libminipkg that will only do the basic stuff which we
know are stable:
Parsing pkg.conf (to at least be able to discover where the local db should be
in case it is not in /var/db/pkg)
and provide basic query (name of packages, version, timestamp, etc).

So any application just willing to do some basic query (hear bsnmpd, net-snmp
and so) will be able to rely on a stable ABI/API.

For that I will need to import sqlite into base (which anyway is already there
hidden in 3 places svnlite, kerberos) and make it a private lib

Any thought?
Better idea?

regards,
Bapt