nosh version 1.9

Jordan Hubbard jkh at turbofuzz.com
Wed Oct 22 23:05:31 UTC 2014

> On Oct 22, 2014, at 3:06 PM, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups at NTLWorld.com <mailto:J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups at NTLWorld.com>> wrote:
>
> There have been, to my knowledge, three attempts (in 2005, 2008, and 2013) to give launchd to the general BSD world that have involved more than just talk.  All have foundered.  The discomforting truth is that we aren't going to get launchd for doing service and system management for the very same reasons that we aren't going to get systemd for doing service and system management.  systemd is full of Linuxisms.  launchd is full of Machisms.  It's simply not a BSD program.  It's a Mach program.  (The fact that the initial process program isn't portable is obvious in hindsight.  I kicked myself. I've written several initial process programs before.  They aren't, and cannot be, limited to non-operating-system-specific stuff.)  One attempt to port launchd involved stubbing out the Machisms.  There has been a recent attempt to port systemd to FreeBSD that is in the same boat: stub out or remove all of the operating system specific parts, and one can get a program that will compile (with a lot of compiler warnings); but it doesn't function.
>
> The launchd train is never coming.

I aim to disprove that assertion sometime in the next 12 months.

I’ll also point out that it would have taken less time to port NetBSD’s COMPAT_MACH code than it’s probably taken to beat one’s head against mach ports in launchd.  They would certainly not be the first Mach code FreeBSD has ever seen (take a look at the VM system sometime!).

- Jordan