GSoC proposition: pico FreeBSD for soho MIPS routers (OpenWRT alike)

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 16 10:25:18 UTC 2014

Hello, Julian.
You wrote 16 марта 2014 г., 0:00:41:

>> VH> I think this is mostly done? I'd suggest that you look at
>> VH> https://github.com/kientzle/crochet-freebsd
>>   Problem not in a script (we have nanobsd for it!), but minimal size of
>> usable system, both compressed (think: 16Mb or even 4Mb of Flash) and
>> uncompressed (think: 32Mb of RAM).
JE> hense picoBSD
JE> nanoBSD is small but picoBSD is smaller
 It is not enough. Kernel with all needed drivers (think: netgrpah for
 PPPoE/L2TP/PPTP and other net/mpd5-supported protocols? USB for external
 drive, etc) and needed software (as system one -- WiFi stack, dhclient &
Ko, and ported one too -- dhcpd + mpd5 at least, and, may be, samba for
systems with USB port) is much bigger than typical
SOHO routers flash size. And I don't mention that we need some HTTPD and web
interface too.

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>