FreeBSD/Solaris dual-boot, problems with time (ntpd)

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Jul 12 13:12:12 UTC 2014

On 10/07/2014 05:07, Chad J. Milios wrote:
> Each OS has a way to let it know if that is or is not the case. In
> FreeBSD, if any file exists at /etc/wall_cmos_clock then the kernel
> treats the CMOS clock as the local time. If that file does not exist
> then the default is that the CMOS clock represents universal
> coordinated time (aka UTC). I don't use Solaris enough to tell you
> its equivalent procedure from memory but it has the same toggle in
> there somewhere.
>
> (My knowledge of this is decades old. Can someone else confirm this
> is still the canonical way to set this preference in FreeBSD?)

Yes, this is still the case.  The /etc/wall_cmos_clock mechanism hasn't
changed in ages, although sometime around 9.0-RELEASE (I think) the
installer changed to assume CMOS Clock running in UTC rather than
wallclock time if you just accepted the default answers.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.