geli+trim support

Julian Elischer julian at freebsd.org
Mon Jul 7 12:29:43 UTC 2014

On 7/5/14, 9:11 AM, Jesse Gooch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 04/07/14 01:19 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>> In message <53B6427D.1010403 at gooch.io>, Jesse Gooch writes:
>>
>>> IIRC, TRIM is bad for encryption anyway. You want everything to be
>>> random noise, even the empty sectors. TRIM defeats this.
>> The problem is that there is nothing you can do.
>>
>> If you overwrite, your old sector is still unchanged somewhere in flash.
>>
>> If you TRIM, your old sector is still unchanged somewhere in flash, but
>> if you're lucky for slightly less time.
> Perhaps I misunderstand TRIM, isn't the point of TRIM that it zeroes out
> the sector ahead of time so it doesn't have to re-do it again when it
> stores more data in that sector later?

hmm, no. 'trim' tells the drive that the sector in question is
to be trimmed from the list of sectors with any valid information.
On a "flash" drive this tells teh drive that it is free to reassign it
to some other
use shoudl it need to. This is differnet from "writing zeros to it"
which would
be a valid sector, full of data (zeros).