Two interesting things that broke in the package system while I wasn't looking.

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Thu Oct 31 07:09:23 UTC 2013

On 2013-Oct-30 14:34:20 -0400, Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble at gmail.com> wrote:
>Recently, I have encountered a hassle with a bunch of 7.2 machines that
>need upgrading. Two things, really, that are broken.  I realize that 7.2
>isn't supported... but these two things are errors that don't need to be
>errors --- it's just sloppy.

It's not "sloppy".  "Not supported" means "not supported":  Once a release
isn't supported, developers don't need to worry about compatability with
that release (and existing compatibility code is likely to be ripped out
to reduce the maintenance effort).

7.2 has not been supported for more than 3 years and the last 7.x
release went EoL 8 months ago.  No-one is going to stop you running
7.x but you won't be able to use a current ports tree or current
packages on it.

--
Peter Jeremy