FreeBSD 10.0-BETA1 #8 r256765M spend too much time in locks

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 25 10:09:15 UTC 2013

on 25/10/2013 10:23 Vitalij Satanivskij said the following:

> http://quad.org.ua/profiling.tgz
>
> results of both methods
>
> but for pmcstat to few buffers configured by default so not all statistics in summary ^(

>From these profiling results alone I do not see pathologies.
It looks like you have a lot of I/O going on[*].
My guess is that the I/O requests are sufficiently small and contiguous, so ZFS
performs a lot for I/O aggregation.  For that it allocates and then frees a lot
of temporary buffers.
And it seems that that's where the locks are greatly contended and CPU is
burned.  Specifically in KVA allocation in vmem_xalloc/vmem_xfree.

You can try at least two approaches.

1. Disable I/O aggregation.
See the following knobs:
vfs.zfs.vdev.aggregation_limit: I/O requests are aggregated up to this size
vfs.zfs.vdev.read_gap_limit: Acceptable gap between two reads being aggregated
vfs.zfs.vdev.write_gap_limit: Acceptable gap between two writes being aggregated

2. Try to improve buffer allocation performance by using uma(9) for that.
vfs.zfs.zio.use_uma=1
This is a boot time tunable.

Footnotes:
[*] But perhaps there is some pathology that causes all that I/O to happen.  I
can't tell that from the profiling data.  So this could be another thing to try
to check.

> Andriy Gapon wrote:
> AG>
> AG> When that high load happens again could you please run some profiling tool that
> AG> is capable of capturing the whole stacks of hot code paths?
> AG>
> AG> I can suggest two alternatives:
> AG>
> AG> 1. hwpmc
> AG> pmcstat -S instructions -O sample.out
> AG> pmcstat -R sample.out -G summary.out