gperf -- #define for if (0) ; else for

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 22 06:37:02 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 06:50:20PM -0400, Sean Bruno wrote:

> > > StackOverflow (!) [1] suggests that they're a workaround for a bug in
> > > old versions of Visual Studio.
> >
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/b80153d8%28v=vs.90%29.aspx also
> > documents it.  Visual C++ 6 was released in 1998, which was
> > unfortunately the same year as the first ISO C++ standard.
> >

> Hrm, it looks like gperf is in ports ... should we consider just
> removing it from the base system in the first place?

Yes that is the plan :), remember that gperf is a dependency for gcc 4.2, so as
long as we have gcc 4.2 we need gperf in base, we can probably turn it off
depending on the gcc option (but that needs some work on the ports tree.)

If you are volunteering at turning of gperf building, please prepare a patch
against head, create a PR with [exp-run] in the subject and as portmgr for a
exp, best would also be working with someone so that an infrastructure to depend
on gperf is created in the ports tree (aka a USES=gperf).

regards,
Bapt