Global variables in system programs

Alfred Perlstein bright at mu.org
Thu Oct 17 11:53:24 UTC 2013

On 10/17/13 2:09 AM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 2013-10-17 03:45, Eitan Adler wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 11:07 AM, Sebastian Huber
>> <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
>>
>>> These programs use some global variables.  In a statically linked
>>> context we
>>> have now the following problems
>>
>> This is a pretty awesome idea.  I've seen some work like this but it
>> would be great to get FreeBSD into a state where this is easy.
>
> If it is acceptable for the FreeBSD project to turn e.g. ROUTE(8) and
> IFCONFIG(8) into library functions then this would be great. I can do
> the work.

This looks really great.  Please cc or send me direct mail as you
progress.  I would like to help see this make it into FreeBSD.  I think
one other place to continue this discussion is also "arch at freebsd.org".

> As noted in a different mail, currently no resource clean up is
> performed. Adding such code will make the program more complex.
[[ removed use of setjmp to wrap exit() ]]

hmm, I see, I'm not sure there's a way around this without extensively
changing/refactoring the programs so it should be OK. At a certain point
we will have to track and find leaked fds and memory too.  Any ideas?

> I use this Git repository, but currently I work with the FreeBSD 8.2
> branch. The network stack port is a long running stuff for us.  The
> goal is to first get the existing work unit tested and then move to
> the latest FreeBSD release.

Is it on github?

Thank you,
--