git session at BAFUG tomorrow (San Francisco Bay Area FreeBSD User Group).

Alfred Perlstein bright at mu.org
Thu Oct 10 00:04:37 UTC 2013

I've been doing a few one-on-one sessions at iXsystems explaining the
git model to developers and have had much success.

Tomorrow at BAFUG
(http://www.meetup.com/BAFUG-Bay-Area-FreeBSD-User-Group/events/144351492/)
I will be doing a quick talk on git and then doing a breakaway session
on managing large projects using git.

> This week Alfred Perlstein will have a GIT talk for FreeBSD users, and
> offer a 1-2 hour demo in a break awayfor people interested in doing a
> hands-on GIT experience managing a large project.
>
> We will cover migration of your FreeBSD customizations based on one
> version of FreeBSD to another FreeBSD version. Specifically, Alfred
> will be doing a hands-on using "rebasing", to do this migration.
>
> To participate, all that needs to be done is to have run "git clone
> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd" beforehand (as this takes about 30
> minutes).
>
> In addition, a computer with wi-fi or some internet connection to
> github.com <http://github.com/> is needed.
>
> As a prerequisite, it is expected that you have some understanding of
> "patch(1)" and "diff(1)".
>
> There will be no recording allowed and the format will allow only for
> short discussion and no derailing. Discussion of other SCM tools is
> only appropriate in the context of understanding what we are doing in
> git. Advocacy of other SCM tools will not be tolerated.  If you can
> not abide by these rules you will be asked to leave the session.

The workshop will mostly focus on "git rebase" of a large project,
however we may cover a few other areas depending on how much progress we
make in the 1-2 hours we set aside.

Again, if you want to participate, show up on time and make sure you
have a git clone of freebsd already made!

-Alfred

--
Alfred Perlstein