Is freebsd-update braindamaged, or I'm using it wrong?

Alexander Yerenkow yerenkow at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 09:38:16 UTC 2013

To make better tool (than current behaviour of mergemaster regarding
configs/source files) which could make merge an easy task it *must* have
such things:

a) way to get Original configs/files from revision from you are upgrading
($Rev1)
b) way to get Original configs/files from revision to you are upgrading
($Rev100)
c) have ability to ignore differencies in comments
d) have ability to treat special cases (as $FreeBSD$ - just took newer line)

Then, your each new file will be  $Rev100 + diff_changes(CURRENT, $Rev1) +
diff_changes($Rev100, $Rev1).
Note, that in case that your diffs are none  diff_changes(CURRENT, $Rev1) =
0, then you can simply get new file.
Same thing in case that only $FreeBSD$ changed.

I have some PoC-es for this, but not in shell, maybe I'll come up someday
with full tool.

2013/10/1 Ivan Voras <ivoras at freebsd.org>

> This is the first time I've used freebsd-update in years, and I'm
> immediately flagging it as something I won't use in the future. For
> the last half hour it has been forcing me to manually resolve, one by
> one, in an editor, hundreds of "merge conflicts" such as these:
>
>   1 <<<<<<< current version
>   2 # $FreeBSD: release/9.0.0/etc/gettytab 209954 2010-07-12 19:09:18Z bcr
> $
>   3 =======
>   4 # $FreeBSD: release/9.2.0/etc/gettytab 243623 2012-11-27 19:23:54Z
> peterj $
>   5 >>>>>>> 9.2-RELEASE
>   6 #       from: @(#)gettytab      5.14 (Berkeley) 3/27/91
>   7 #
>
> This is fairly ridiculous. Then, at a random file it has proposed its
> own merge and asked the prompt "Does this look reasonable?". It was
> not, but when I answered it with "n" it stopped the whole process
> (instead of maybe opening the file in the editor for me to merge
> again).
>
> I've since retried the process and it behaves the same, and then tried
> it on another system and again - the same type of manual merges and
> the same exit from the process when answering "n" to a botched merge.
>
> In both cases, I'm upgrading from either 9.0-RELEASE or 9.1-RELEASE to
> 9.2-RELEASE and the command line was "freebsd-update upgrade -r
> 9.2-RELEASE".
>
> Am I doing something wrong, or is freebsd-update simply quirky and not
> that useful?

Regards,
Alexander Yerenkow