Alternate Data Stream Support in FreeBSD (was Re: O_XATTR support in FreeBSD?)

Jordan Hubbard jordan.hubbard at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 20:58:10 UTC 2013

On Nov 26, 2013, at 9:17 AM, Matthew Fleming <mdf at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Anyone implementing a SMB/CIFS filesystem on top of FreeBSD (e.g. a vendor) will need to come up with support for ADS.  Whether or not any "FreeBSD" application has use for them is maybe beside the point -- vendors have a use for support.  Though probably every vendor who wants them has already coded their own variant.

Oh, you mean like some provider of a NAS appliance based on FreeBSD? :-)

I do take your point, though fortunately (?) there really is only one "vendor" we all need to concern ourselves with here, and that's Samba.  I doubt that anyone in the BSD world save Apple has the resources to go their own direction with respect to CIFS.

A fair amount of googling around doesn't reveal many folks hacking this sort of integration into samba.  I'll have to ask Jeremy.  Now you have me curious. :-)

- Jordan