Building with gcc?

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Mon Nov 25 12:59:08 UTC 2013

On 25 Nov 2013, at 02:31, Glen Barber <gjb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 05:28:05PM -0800, Matthew Fleming wrote:
>> I'm trying to test a change to gcc, and I'd like to do a full
>> buildworld/buildkernel using the gcc compiler.  So I added this to my
>> /etc/src.conf (and make.conf, since I can't remember under which scenarios
>> they're different):
>>
>> WITHOUT_CLANG=YES
>> WITH_GCC=YES
>> WITH_GNUCXX=YES
>>
>> and I started a buildworld.  It's currently building clang.
>>
>> Why is it building clang?
>>

> You also want WITHOUT_CLANG_IS_CC=YES.  I have no reasonable explanation
> for why it is different.

WITHOUT_CLANG and WITHOUT_CLANG_IS_CC were decoupled in r256915 by brooks:

"Stop conflating WITHOUT_CLANG with WITHOUT_CLANG_IS_CC.  This allows
bootstrapping a copy of clang without building clang for the base system
which is useful for nanobsd and similar setups.  It's still probably
wrong to conflate what is installed as /usr/bin/cc with the selection
of a bootstrap compiler under WITH*_CLANG_IS_CC, but that's for another
day."

I would still say that WITHOUT_CLANG implies that you cannot have clang
as cc, so maybe it would be better to error out in this case?

-Dimitry