pkgng for configuration management?

Kamil Choudhury Kamil.Choudhury at anserinae.net
Mon Nov 11 17:38:31 UTC 2013

> I've done this on Linux in the past. It's a handy trick to distribute
> small configuration pieces for clients which are not under same
> administration (eg. users workstations). I used it to create meta-
> packages like 'company-dev-environment' which includes all basic
> packages for dev workstation, and packages like 'company-krb5-conf'
> which installs and configures a proper /etc/krb5.conf for accessing
> intranet services.

This pretty much sums up my experience.

The initial distribution of configurations goes well, generally speaking, and is
okay for getting hosts up and running upon creation -- but woe betide you
if two packages alter the same file (necessary for things like rc.conf...).

I'm using cfengine instead -- much less finicky.