Importing netbsd cdb

Julio Merino julio at meroh.net
Thu Nov 7 03:57:39 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 5:39 AM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at freebsd.org> wrote:
> From the netbsd commit log, it says that in case of services it is at least as
> slow, and at best faster, from my testing it is way faster, (sorry no numbers)
>
> Concerning the migration, the way I did it for now, is that getservent is trying
> to open the cdb database and fallsback on the bdb one, so migrating to
> 11.0-RELEASE should be ootb.
>
> Running:
> services_mkdb
>
> Will generate the cdb version of the db

Hmm... but who would be in charge of running this conversion process
during an upgrade to 11?  The administrator by hand, or would this be
automated in some manner?

Also, if this is expected to be done by hand: it's possible for
somebody to forget doing the conversion when upgrading to 11.  Would
there be any notices announcing that the old format is deprecated and
would go away by 12? I'm having in mind a failure case where you
upgrade from 11 to 12 and things break because you forgot to rebuild
the database with 11 (which is the release that allows you to do the
conversion).

--
Julio Merino / @jmmv