pkgng for configuration management?

Benjamin Lee ben at b1c1l1.com
Mon Nov 4 17:09:10 UTC 2013

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 20:49:20 +0000, Kamil Choudhury <Kamil.Choudhury at anserinae.net> wrote:
> I've been setting up a private pkgng repository to push software to a family of about 20 different hosts.
>
> One command software deployment is pretty awesome, so I got to thinking: why not go one step further and start pushing configurations for each of these hosts via pkgng as well (either by putting the config files into the initial software pkg, or via a separate pkg that installs only the configurations)?
>
> Has anyone else tried going down this rabbit hole? If so, what has your experience with the system been?

Stick to UNIX philosophy: do one thing and do it well.  Package
management and configuration management have different problem domains.
Consider, for example: do you upgrade software packages at the same rate
that you modify configuration files?

pkg(8) is a great package management tool, but it isn't (and shouldn't
be) a configuration management tool.

--
Benjamin Lee
http://www.b1c1l1.com/