GSoC: PKGNG GUI Proposal Available for Review

Teske, Devin Devin.Teske at fisglobal.com
Fri May 3 14:51:23 UTC 2013

On May 3, 2013, at 1:33 AM, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

good for today and future ladmins that cannot type a command.

Any USEFUL proposals that add some real functionality?

WIth great respect, I disagree with the dismissal that a GUI itself cannot bring value that a command-line tool couldn't otherwise bring to the table.

For example, in a stateful modal dialog, I believe that part of the value-add is seeing realtime calculations being performed based on user input. For a concrete example, imagine as you are checking/unchecking boxes of what to install, if the GUI continually keeps up-to-date a display of selected dependencies (packages and leaves), then that is something that on the command-line tool is more difficult.

What is the value-add in that you may say? Exploring, of course! Imagine that you have a need to fill, you go into a particular package category, and are faced with 5 things that all fill the same basic need -- but perhaps all but one has a massive runtime dependency list, so you choose that one. In this example, the GUI is far superior to command-line tools.

I'm actually taking the same approach in the design of "bsdconfig packages" (visible here: http://twitpic.com/ci2rid ) in that the TUI based management will aim to give you all that extra value-added information that would otherwise take multiple command-line queries and extra effort to correlate.

I argue that the goal should not be to develop tools that are useful for (as you call them) "ladmins" … but develop tools that the developers themselves find useful.

I personally feel that I myself have failed as a developer if I ever develop a tool that I don't use myself (or at least find useful in replacing an old way of doing something that is much more difficult).
--
Devin

P.S. I'm sorry… but that callous remark sparked a fire in me. Had to set the record straight… we need to give this student a running chance -- don't dare say this won't be useful (I've read the project proposal… it's good and it has bapt's +1 iirc, so that makes it good as gold basically)