Help porting Linux app - getting Free Memory and Real Memory

Rod Person rodperson at rodperson.com
Fri Mar 29 14:14:15 UTC 2013

On 03/29/13 10:04, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> I would recommend removing the check completely. The upstream author
> should do this for the Linux version as well; it really doesn't make
> sense in a system that supports virtual memory. If you decide to
> support it anyway to make some kind of performance guarantees, you
> probably should check against all of user memory; "free" memory is by
> definition being underutilized.

Well, being that I received this suggestion from you and Eitan; this is
probably the way to go.

I'll contact the upstream author and see if he has a better explanation
as why he does this.  There is one other section that uses this check
also, but I have not seen it raise a warning on my testing of the app.

Thank you guys.

Rod