Seeking an extended-support O/S similar to FreeBSD

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Thu Mar 28 23:10:58 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 04:29:55PM -0500, Michael Wayne wrote:
> I'm NOT trying to start a flame war here. I'm trying to find a
> viable solution to a very frustrating, real problem.
>
> It's clear that FreeBSD has absolutely no interest in maintaining
> an extended maintainence release version of the O/S. The high
> resource commitment required to keep up with the current incessant
> FreeBSD release process is beyond quite a number of people. I'm at
> the point of admitting that FreeBSD is simply too much work for us
> to continue to use.
>
> So, I'm wondering if anyone reading the list is aware of a viable
> alternative. I'm seeking a BSD-based O/S that is designed to be
> installed in a server environment and not ever get any feature
> upgrades or require any noticable additional resources, only security
> fixes for the O/S and ports.
>
> While this concept is clearly in total opposition to the philosophy
> of the FreeBSD team, I'm hoping that some other, smaller project
> might exist to fill this need.
>
> Any suggestions?

	Many, many [many] years ago I was in favor of a linux+bsd system.
	AFAIK, it had some support. you might scout it out.

	over  a year ago I gave up my FBSD server which ran 7.3 and had
	my own DNS and web and mail server side.  I   tried to upgrade but
	there were too many ports that refused to build.  nutshell,
	someone in the dallas-ft. worth area became my volunteer system
	admin.  he used centOS-6.3 and fedora-17.  the fedora-17 desktop
	kept crashing  for hardware faults so I   finally bought a refurb
	h.p. just off lease, put on ubuntu 12.04 LTS.  The next version,
	13.04 will be out in a few weeks.  I  now use godaddy.com.  they do
	my DNS.  I use mutt  as my mailer.  I've got fetchmail working
	"reasonably well" [smirk !]

	my  web server is on the Centos 6.3.  mail goes to godaddy...
	and when ubuntu's 13.04 long term support is here, I won't have to
	fmess with my desktop for THREE years!  dunno anything about
	centos.  I =do= know that while the Berkeley distros are the BEST,
	[in my biased opinion], linux is good-enough {tm}

              Twenty-six years of service to the Unix community.