Seeking an extended-support O/S similar to FreeBSD

Michael Wayne freebsd07 at wayne47.com
Thu Mar 28 21:29:57 UTC 2013

I'm NOT trying to start a flame war here. I'm trying to find a
viable solution to a very frustrating, real problem.

It's clear that FreeBSD has absolutely no interest in maintaining
an extended maintainence release version of the O/S. The high
resource commitment required to keep up with the current incessant
FreeBSD release process is beyond quite a number of people. I'm at
the point of admitting that FreeBSD is simply too much work for us
to continue to use.

So, I'm wondering if anyone reading the list is aware of a viable
alternative. I'm seeking a BSD-based O/S that is designed to be
installed in a server environment and not ever get any feature
upgrades or require any noticable additional resources, only security
fixes for the O/S and ports.

While this concept is clearly in total opposition to the philosophy
of the FreeBSD team, I'm hoping that some other, smaller project
might exist to fill this need.

Any suggestions?