syscalls per process ?

Paul Koch paul.koch137 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 01:58:33 UTC 2013

Hi,

At the start of all our programs, we set up a SIGALRM signal handler
to retrieve rusage stats each second and log this info for analysis.
It is useful for long running programs.  One of the things we
would really really like to get is the number of system calls the
process has performed.

Is there a simple way for a process to retrieve its own number of
syscalls it has performed ?   Pity it's not available via getrusage().

We don't want to run an external program (eg. truss/dtrace) on each
program.

	Paul.