lots of network interfaces

dteske at freebsd.org dteske at freebsd.org
Fri Mar 8 00:12:10 UTC 2013

I decided to stress-test the netgraph(4) subsystem one day and was able to
create 65530 interfaces before it produced an error, refusing to create another.

At that point, the system was still usable, but...

It took over an hour for ifconfig to list all the interfaces. Simply typing
"ifconfig" with no arguments and pressing ENTER would start spewing information
on-screen for over an hour before it finished. (so I'd say that there could be
some optimizations made; but nonetheless impressive that the system was still
very usable at that point, ifconfig aside).
--
Devin