Need advice on sys5 shm and zero copy sockets

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Tue Mar 5 19:21:00 UTC 2013

On Monday, March 04, 2013 1:24:08 pm gary mazzaferro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for all the help..  Looks like I'll move forward with
> recommending linux as a base for our new cloud execution containers.
>
> Personally, I thought freebsd would be a technically superior and
> longer term solution for scientific grid and cloud, but if I can't get
> support on best architectural practices. I'll need to move to
> something I that will be supported during eval, design and prototyping
> processes.

There is not anything in stock FreeBSD that currently does zero-copy sockets
for TCP.  You could add such a thing, but you would have to implement your
own. :(  Some of the building blocks are in place.  For example, you can
create POSIX shared memory objects via shm_open() (and FreeBSD has an extension
where a path of SHM_ANON creates anonymous, unnamed objects) and pass that fd
into the kernel where an ioctl handler can map it into KVA using shm_map()
and shm_unmap().  You'd have to change TCP to do something useful with this
buffer however.

--
John Baldwin