After the FreeBSD VM crash, file system in VM got rolled back to some old previous state causing data loss

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Sat Aug 3 02:37:58 UTC 2013

I hit this unexpected problem: my host had an ungraceful shutdown while
FreeBSD 9.1 STABLE was running in the VirtualBox VM. After reboot of the
host and VM, local ufs file system was missing all recent updates for at
least 20 hours (!!!)
My question is, how is this possible? Is this related to journaled
soft-updates which were enabled in VM?
Losing data looks like a critical issue. I had a backup outside VM so no
real data loss for me, but this is bad.
Fedora VM, that was shut down in the same way didn't suffer from the
same issue (local ext4).
Host shutdown was caused by the frozen Xorg, I had to kill it and
reboot. VirtualBox processes got killed in the process.

Yuri