GSOC: Qt front-ends

Teske, Devin Devin.Teske at fisglobal.com
Wed Apr 24 19:17:19 UTC 2013

On Apr 24, 2013, at 11:51 AM, Teske, Devin wrote:

On Apr 24, 2013, at 11:10 AM, Freddie Cash wrote:

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM, Justin Edward Muniz <
justin.muniz at maine.edu<mailto:justin.muniz at maine.edu>> wrote:

I think the interface to pkgng and freebsd-update are still
interesting; at least more worthwhile than the kernel configuration
one.

I think the pkgng one has the edge, since packages are updated far
more often than base, and it's easier to track base.

Now you are at a stage where you should make your own decision; which
one looks the most interesting to you?  Once you decide on an area of
interest, you can just start hacking :)

Chris

That's good to hear.

I am sure that you are right, a pkgng GUI would probably see more use in
general. I am definitely close to making my decision, but this thread has
been so much help, I am glad for the insight.

The coding is what I look forward to the most :D

You'll probably want to get in touch with the PC-BSD folks.  As they are
moving to pkgng for everything, they are updating their Python-based GUIs
to work with it.  Might be a possibility to work together, or to build off
what they have, or to get ideas/inspiration for a more general tool.

For example, (going from memory of my home PC-BSD install) the System
Update or System Manager tool uses pkgng behind the scenes, and provides a
tree-based view of PC-BSD-specific packages that can be installed via
simply ticking checkboxes and hitting Install button.

And, they have a ports-based GUI tool as well, although I have not used it
as yet so couldn't tell you what it supports.  I do my ports-based installs
via a terminal.  :)

I've been planning a pkgng management tool in base for a while now (and am closing in on that goal).

The tool is bsdconfig

It's relevant to this discussion because it supports running both in GUI and in TUI.

This is accomplished by using dialog(1) for TUI and Xdialog(1) (from ports) for GUI. One code base, two modes.

The package management is being implemented as a bsdconfig(8) module in HEAD (see usr.sbin/bsdconfig).

Clarification:

The module is being *implemented* in HEAD, but is being *developed* on SF.net<http://SF.net> (URL Below):

http://druidbsd.sf.net/download/bsdconfig/

Right now, if you download the latest tarball from that directory (bsdconfig.YYMMDD-#.tgz) and replace "usr.sbin/bsdconfig" in your checked-out tree, you'll have ~1500 lines more than HEAD (at the time of this writing).

My plan is to (before the next BAFUG) commit the packages module in one swift action (hence why I'm developing it outside of the main tree).
--
Devin

Executing "bsdconfig packages" produces something inspired by sysinstall but greatly improved (faster, cleaner, more efficient, and provides more data).

Here's a screenshot:
http://twitpic.com/ci2rid

Sorry, no screenshot of the X11 side yet.

Executing "bsdconfig -X packages" or "bsdconfig packages -X" gives you the X11 GUI.

Is it the flashiest GUI you've ever seen? Far from it. But when I've demo'd the code, people have been generally positive about the approach.

Just wanted to let you know what my plans are.

Feel free to go full-boar with a Qt-based front-end, just wanted to let you know what I'm cooking in HEAD.
--
Devin