GSOC: Qt front-end for freebsd-update

Justin Edward Muniz justin.muniz at maine.edu
Sun Apr 14 16:41:29 UTC 2013

> Please don't mix the two, they are related but their usages do not really
> overlap.
>
> portsnap(8) only deals with keeping the ports(7) tree and the
> /usr/ports/INDEX file up to date.
>
> PKGNG (like the old pkg_* tools) is mostly concerned with registering
> built ports as packages or installing pre-built packages in the
> system. Some functionality of it does use the ports tree but it does
> not depend on it.

     Yes, that does make sense; thank you for your input. A set of GUIs
seems like the
way to go, the reason why I considered combining them is for convenience. I
am still learning
about pkgng, but I do understand that it does not replace ports package
management
tools.

     A front-end could certainly add or combine functionality for
convenience, but
some admins run multiple operating systems and may have to reference notes
before updates.
And some newer users might prefer a GUI for some of these common commands.

Justin Muniz