GSOC: Qt front-end for freebsd-update

Kimmo Paasiala kpaasial at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 16:15:20 UTC 2013

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 7:02 PM, Justin Edward Muniz
<justin.muniz at maine.edu> wrote:

>> I think GUI front ends to freebsd-update, portsnap, or pkgng would all be
>> useful.
>>
>> One thing I would look into though, is what PC-BSD offers. They may
>> already have similar things.
>>
>> Very interesting, I am checking out the source for PC-BSD's updater to
> study it.
> Portsnap and pkgng seem like interesting projects, would it be bizarre to
> combine
> functionality into one GUI? I need to do more research on pkgng, I am more
> familiar
> with the other commands.

Please don't mix the two, they are related but their usages do not
really overlap.

portsnap(8) only deals with keeping the ports(7) tree and the
/usr/ports/INDEX file up to date.

PKGNG (like the old pkg_* tools) is mostly concerned with registering
built ports as packages or installing pre-built packages in the
system. Some functionality of it does use the ports tree but it does
not depend on it.

I have to also ask, what would a GUI offer that the command line tools
do not offer at the moment?

-Kimmo