Multiple page size support on FreeBSD?

Andrew Duane aduane at juniper.net
Wed Apr 10 20:22:28 UTC 2013

Like all "performance" items (especially VM), it depends on the hardware and the load. On systems with small TLBs it helps more than with large TLBs. With software that needs access to lots of different areas the TLB gets more traffic so large ones help more. The answer for your firefox browser box with i386 is probably different from my compilation engine running MIPS, or his web server running AMD.

Back at Digital, we spent a lot of time trying to find the "one true answer" to superpages, only to discover there wasn't one. We ended up with a combination of automatic use from big allocations, a rarely used API to advise for big TLBs, and some background work that coalesced when possible.

Andrew L. Duane
Resident Architect - AT&T Technical Lead
m   +1 603.770.7088
o   +1 408.933.6944 (2-6944)
skype: andrewlduane
aduane at juniper.net