GSOC 2013 project " Kernel Size Reduction for Embedded System "

Matthew Jacob mj at feral.com
Wed Apr 10 13:28:49 UTC 2013

On 4/9/2013 11:53 PM, Daniel Braniss wrote:
> this host can run x11 apps! so 'Huge' is a relative matter, my first
> PDP11/45 has 64K :-) danny
Bah. Real old farts ran munix on a 32k PDP 11/03- shell and apps in the
low 16k and the kernel in the upper. Or was it the other way around? At
Tektronix, a PDP 11/70 supported 64 users runing vi and compiling
simultaneously, although starting a link job meant going out for coffee.

As a point of comparison with huge and speed: in 1987 my Sun 3/50 with a
15MHz 68020 and 4MB of memory could open the mailtool and I could be
reading email within a second.

My current desktop with 8GB of memory and running 8 cores @ 2.2GHz and
Thunderbird running almost entirely memory before being un-iconified
still takes a couple of seconds to be usable.

Progress!