Multiple page size support on FreeBSD?

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 8 03:22:46 UTC 2013

On Sun, 7 Apr 2013, Sebastian Feld wrote:

> Does FreeBSD support multiple page sizes in a single userland process
> like Solaris 11 does?

Superpage promotion happens automatically when consecutive data are
accessed according to the proper heuristic.  As promotion is dynamic,
necessarily a mixture of page sizes will be in use.  I'm not familiar with
the Solaris 11 feature, so I can't say whether there is a direct parallel.

You may be interested in this talk by Kirk McKusick at BSDCan 2011 on the
topic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wIxny-n_Mg

-Ben Kaduk