Ports: make fails, if DESTDIR path has spaces

Chris Rees crees at FreeBSD.org
Mon Apr 1 16:30:54 UTC 2013

On 1 April 2013 17:13,  <rank1seeker at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Try "DESTDIR='/usr/TZ\ ONE'; export DESTDIR".
>>
>> You need to escape the space.
>
> This is '#!/bin/sh' scripting.
> Doing so "fixes" *.mk, but breaks sh => dir simply doesn't exist anymore.
>
> Matthias && Chris => *.mk is at fault here, for not supporting FreeBSD's
> full range of chars for dir paths

As I explained before, Makefiles and sh have a strange relationship,
where escaping is similar but different in weird places.

Unless you are an expert, you should not use spaces in pathnames.
Stop doing it; the ports system is not designed around them.

Chris