the Newcons Project

Ed Maste emaste at freebsd.org
Mon Apr 1 13:35:39 UTC 2013

> I would VERY much be able to have a console that looked like this in FreeBSD
>
> http://wiki.gentoo.org/images/7/7c/Bootsplash.png

> could someone with more understanding of this, be able to tell me if the
> Newcons project (when completed) is even going to do what i'm looking for?

I'm not really sure what you're looking for, but I suspect newcons is
orthogonal to it.  Newcons won't change what is displayed, only how it
is done; the primary user-facing advantages are Unicode support and
better use of graphics modes.  There are also some (very important)
lower level infrastructural changes.

-Ed