Ways to promote FreeBSD?

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Fri May 4 14:55:42 UTC 2012

> I think "The power to serve", pretty much sums it up nicely. :-)

that simple. While whom/what it serve it depends. But it have to serve
someone needs. Contrary to "computer owner" being a server for someone
else needs :)

>>> now.
>>
> While I know this probably seems pointless, based on your
> observation(s). I can't help but wonder if initiating a
> "BSD awareness day", might not be a bad idea. I can see

when i started to use unix systems in 1996 in poland internet was a rare
thing. And i only knew linux copied from someone - i was not aware of
*BSD in spite it was superior. Linux was mentioned very often in
computer newspapers. *BSD - not at all.

then i got too dependent from linux but  finally removed it altogether -
not because FreeBSD was promoted harder but because i knew about it's
existence AT ALL and because i found it - by testing and using - to be
far better than linux.

Since most people today have internet connectivity, i don't think any
special work is needed.

People that use overadvertised linux for real, and want
performance will try other systems quickly.

I even think too much advertisement is done today.

For example - "desktop environments" are overadvertised, both they are not
useful for real work and are not a special feature of FreeBSD, just like
over 10000 programs that are available in /usr/ports

I don't really understand why new FreeBSD version is advertised, they say
that there is some version of kde, and gnome? They are NOT A PART OF
FREEBSD. Or if you think  they are, then why not just do attach
whole /usr/ports/INDEX-8 file to the advertisement?

ZFS is overadvertised but fortunately UFS is still default.

UFS is great feature of FreeBSD, it basically never fails, and performance
(when configured properly) is really great.

Actually FreeBSD is already very well known where performance and quality
counts. And it is incorporated in a lot of devices/market
solutions/services.

Linux is everywhere in commodity gadgets as performance and quality is not
important, only to sell as much as possible and forget.