Please help me diagnose this crazy VMWare/FreeBSD 8.x crash

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Sat Mar 31 08:07:17 UTC 2012

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 19:49:54 -0500, Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org>
wrote:

> There's no guarantee that upgarding a VM or rebooting it won't change
> the config of said VM. Don't forget to diff the vm config file..

I'm not sure how this would be accomplished.... Am I supposed to be
running backup software (rsync, etc?) on my ESX nodes now so I can capture
these VM config files? How would I ever know what changed the VM files
when? I'm sure if I called up VMWare and said "HEY YOU GUYS YOU BROKE THIS
BY CHANGING THESE FILES" and then when they asked how I figured it out I
told them I installed software that is definitely unsupported on their
ESXi server to track it that they would certainly tell me to go pound sand.

Working in a black box environment is never fun. :(