Please help me diagnose this crazy VMWare/FreeBSD 8.x crash

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Thu Mar 29 15:01:10 UTC 2012

> On 3/28/2012 1:59 PM, Mark Felder wrote:
> > FreeBSD 8-STABLE, 8.3, and 9.0 are untested
>
> As much as I'm sensitive to your production requirements, realistically
> it's not likely that you'll get a helpful result without testing a newer
> version. 8.2 came out over a year ago, many many things have changed
> since then.
>
> Doug

So you're saying that he should have been using 8.3-RELEASE, then.

If you'll kindly go over to http://www.freebsd.org and look under
"Latest Releases", please note that "8.2" is a production release.
If you don't want it to be a production release, then find a way
to make it so, but please don't snipe at people who are using the
code that the FreeBSD project has indicated is a current production
offering.

There are many good reasons not to run arbitrary snapshots on your
production gear.  It's unrealistic to expect people to run non-
RELEASE non-production code on their production gear.  We can have
that discussion if you don't understand that, drop me a note off-
list and I'll be happy to explain it.

Otherwise, you've told him to run a "newer version," of which NONE
IS AVAILABLE, unless you're thinking 9.0, but FreeBSD has a rather
catastrophic history of "point zero" releases, and most clueful
admins won't run those in production without carefully measuring
the risks and benefits.  So you've basically told him to run a
newer version without any such version being realistically
available.

WTF?

You want people not to use releases that "came out over a year
ago"?  The generally sensible solution to that is to release
RELEASEs more than once every fourteen or fifteen months.

... JG