NTFS GSoC Project Idea

Pedro Giffuni pfg at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 28 23:44:24 UTC 2012

Hello Efstratios ;

In general, I agree with Gleb that you should start from
the Apple Darwin port instead of spending time on the
current FreeBSD driver.

Please note that last year someone attempted to bring
in smbfs from Darwin with your same strategy and
failed:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/soc-status/2011-June/000340.html

Making it MPsafe may look relatively easy but it will
take valuable time. In the case of ext2fs, for example,
I am convinced it was only done in time  because the
ext2fs code is based on UFS1.

Also the lack of write support has made the current
NTFS driver undesirable and for a while, even before
the MP-unsafe axing was defined, the driver was
being considered for deprecation.

Quite honestly I think we want the Darwin driver. If it
serves as further encouragement, when I asked Yar
about his HFS port he said everything he took from
Darwin "basically" compiled.

cheers,

Pedro.