src builds and STDERR

Eygene Ryabinkin rea at freebsd.org
Fri Mar 2 06:25:23 UTC 2012

Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 09:38:06AM -0800, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Chris Rees <utisoft at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 1 Mar 2012 16:31, "Garrett Cooper" <yanegomi at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> See:
> >> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2011-December/029852.html
> >> . Why this patch is still not in FreeBSD proper, I do not know.
[...]
> bin/165589 -- thanks!

The patch from mailing list was already committed to HEAD more than
2 weeks ago,
  http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=231544
Don't see the MFC timeline, though.  Max, any plans for MFC?

On the other hand, the error diagnostics from make goes to stdout --
not very good, because more logical place is stderr.  The following patch
should help a bit,
  http://codelabs.ru/fbsd/patches/make/make-redirect-own-error-messages-to-stderr.patch
but I should review it once more and modify the regression suite to
handle the change in the make behaviour.

Any thoughts?
--
Eygene Ryabinkin                                        ,,,^..^,,,
[ Life's unfair - but root password helps!           | codelabs.ru ]