Replacing rc(8) (Was: FreeBSD Boot Times)

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Wed Jun 20 22:23:00 UTC 2012

>>> # rc maintenance
>>> # rc online
>>
>> this functionality seems useful.
>
> That's... not the word I'd have used.
> I'm sort-of-emulating this using custom scripts quite often,
true. custom script that do lots of start or stops are good.

But with N>2 "runlevels" without this subsystem you would need
to run multiple of them or have N*(N-1) scripts.

But i don't like the idea of executing commands to add new "runlevels",
configure it etc.

I like the idea of single config file, or POSSIBLY integrating it in
rc.conf

service_enable=YES

could be replaced by

service1_enable=YES
service1_disable="maintenance blah"
service2_enable="maintenance"

which means service1 should be stopped at "runlevels" maintenance and
blah, and service2 enabled only at "runlevel" maintenance.