Replacing rc(8) (Was: FreeBSD Boot Times)

Fernando Apesteguía fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 16:48:37 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 3:23 PM, Mark Felder <feld at feld.me> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 04:27:09 -0500, Fernando Apesteguía
> <fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Also, in embedded systems, boot time is an important factor.
>

> If you're designing a very specific embedded product based on FreeBSD why
> aren't you writing your own startup system? Why would anyone expect a
> general purpose "out of the box" OS to excel in a highly optimized embedded
> environment?

I didn't say I was designing anything, I just said it is a factor.
I've worked in some embedded projects in which the board had to be
rebooted from time to time. In that case we needed/wanted the system
to be up and running ASAP.

Anyway, being a general purpose OS we can not expect FreeBSD to be
installed on systems that almost never boot. That is not a reality
IMHO.